Radek, what jobs can you get with a Finance Degree? I’m wondering, what can I do with a Finance Degree?
A graduate with a degree in finance has a lot of choices. They can go into personal financial planning, corporate finance, public finance, investment banking, banking, or insurance, just to name a few.
Potential employers include: brokerage firms, trust companies, insurance firms, hospitals, commercial banks, credit unions, savings banks, mortgage banks, investment banking firms, financial services firms, nonprofits, colleges, the IRS, state governments, and the Federal Reserve, just to name a few.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2008:
- About 31% of financial managers were employed by finance and insurance entities, e.g., banks, finance companies, insurance companies, and about 7% worked for the government on some level.
- About 47% of financial analysts were employed by finance and insurance entities, while others worked in private industry or government. Employment for financial analysts is expected to grow by 20% from 2008-2018.
- About 63% of personal financial advisors were employed by finance and insurance entities. About 29% of personal financial advisors were self-employed. Employment for personal financial advisors is projected to grow by 30% from 2008-2018.
However, competition for each of these jobs will be tough, and preference may well be given to those applicants holding advanced degrees.
I have always been interested in money management. I love the program I’m in, because the professors are knowledgeable and make finance interesting. This makes me excited to finally be out in the field, getting some hands-on experience in what I’ve been sitting in class learning about. Once I graduate, I want to work as a loan officer or branch manager at a bank.
~ Thomas Nadeau
Careers you can get with a degree in finance include:
- Actuary (may require certification)
- Budget Analyst (may require advanced degree)
- Commercial Banker
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Manager
- Financial Planner
- Government Regulator
- Insurance Sales Agent
- Insurance Underwriter
- Investment Banker
- Loan Officer
- Mutual Fund Manager
- Personal Financial Advisor
- Security Sales Representative