What Is Aviation?
Aviation is the study of flying and operating an aircraft. There are several types of aviation degrees available online, at both the graduate and undergraduate level: Commercial Navigation Degree, Aviation Science Degree, Aviation Maintenance Degree, and Aviation Business Degree just to name a few. If you want to major in Aviation, be sure to read the fine print about the major and decide which specific degree will help you head in the career direction you want to head in.
Is Aviation a Good Major / Degree for Me?
Are you fascinated by aircraft and flight? Do you want to make an investment in this area of study? Do you see yourself building a career in aviation? Then an aviation degree makes good sense!
High School Classes Needed for an Aviation Degree in College:
- 4 English Credits
- 4 Math Credits
- At least 3 Science Credits, including Chemistry and Physics
- 3 Social Studies Credits
- 2 Foreign Language Credits
- If your high school offers the following courses:
- AP Physics
- Computer Science
Common Aviation Courses in College:
- Aircraft Construction and Materials
- Aircraft Operation
- Aviation Chemistry
- Aviation Law
- Aviation Safety
- Contemporary Issues in Aviation
- FFA Regulations
- Theory of Flight
Similar Degree Programs You Might Want to Explore:
- Aeronautical / Aerospace Engineering Degree: the study of the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft
- Applied Physics Degree: a course of study that combines physics, math, and engineering for practical applications
- Civil Engineering Degree: the study of how to plan, design, and build large construction projects
Your career options will depend upon your specific aviation degree. If you major in Aviation Maintenance, you may find jobs in: customer service; development engineering; manufacturing engineering; or electrical power generation. But if you major in Aviation Business, you may find yourself employed as a: training instructor; project manager; accountant; or aviation dispatcher.
Note: an online Aviation Degree will not automatically make you a pilot. You would still need to go to flight school to get your pilot’s license. With that said, some pilots do choose to build a foundation with an Aviation Degree.
If you enjoyed this article, please share >>