What Is Christian Studies?
A Christian Studies major is usually intended to prepare students to serve in Christian ministry and/or churches in some capacity other than pastor (a pastor will usually need to major in Bible or Biblical Studies).
To simplify things, we’re listing all online Christian Studies, Christian Ministry and Christian Leadership degrees on this page.
A Christian Studies major is a lot like a Liberal Arts and Sciences degree; a Christian Studies student will get a thorough education of major subject areas. The difference is that everything is taught and learned from a Christian worldview, and that there will be additional coursework in Christianity-specific subjects.
Christian Studies can be a popular choice for the Christian who knows he or she wants to further his or her education, but he or she doesn’t yet have a particular vocation in mind. This is a way to explore areas of interest while developing one’s faith.
Christian Studies can be an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree.
Is Christian Studies a Good Major / Degree for Me?
Do you want to simultaneously further your education and grow your faith? Do you want your college experience to be among like-minded people who share your worldview? Do you see yourself as having a future in ministry? Do you like to work with people? Then you might want to explore Christian Studies as a major.
High School Classes Needed for a Christian Studies Degree in College:
- 4 English Credits
- 3 Math Credits
- 3 Science Credits
- 3 Social Studies Credits
- 2 Foreign Language Credits
- If your high school offers the following classes, take advantage: AP World History; AP English Language
- If your high school offers the following co-curricular opportunities, take advantage: Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA); Band; Chorus
Common Christian Studies Courses in College:
- Children’s Ministry
- Christian Doctrine
- Church Administration
- Principles of Biblical Interpretation
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Theology
- Servant Leadership
- Spiritual Formation for Christian Ministry
- Studying and Teaching the Bible
- Survey of Christian Education
- World Religions and Cultures
- Worship Administration
- Youth Ministry
Similar Degree Programs You Might Want to Explore:
- Bible / Biblical Studies: the study of the Bible, including history, languages, and theology
- Missions: a course of study that prepares students to share Christian beliefs with and bring practical help to peoples around the world
- Music Ministries: a course of study that prepares students to use music to minister to others
- Peace Studies: the study of war, conflict, peace, and nonviolent conflict resolution
- Philosophy: the study of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, and conduct
- Psychology: the study of the human mind and of human behavior
- Urban Ministries: a course of study that prepares students to serve and minister to people in heavily populated (and often under-served) areas
- Youth Ministries: a course of study that prepares students to serve and minister to young people
Christian Studies Careers:
Christian Studies graduates can pursue just about any area of employment and/or graduate school. However, most go into Christian ministry and serve in positions such as:
- Christian School Teacher
- Church Administrator
- Worship Leader / Pastor