What is Fire Protection and Safety Technology?
A Fire Protection and Safety Technology Degree is really a “how to stay safe” degree. Students in these programs look at how to prevent fires and accidents and how to handle hazardous materials. People who choose this program of study are choosing to dedicate their time and skills to protecting others. This is usually a 2-year degree.
Is Fire Protection and Safety Technology a Good Major / Degree for Me?
Do you enjoy your science classes? Are you a hands-on learner? Are you comfortable being physically active? Do you like an adrenaline rush? Are you good under pressure? Do you like working as part of a team? Do you like to help other people? If you’ve answered yes to some of these questions, then a degree in Fire Protection and Safety Technology might just be for you!
High School Classes Needed for a Fire Protection and Safety Technology Degree in College:
- 4 English Credits
- 4 Math Credits
- 4 Lab Science Credits
- 3 Social Studies Credits
- 2 Foreign Language Credits
- If your high school offers the following courses, take advantage!
- Computer Classes
- AP Chemistry
- Industrial Arts
- CPR / First Aid
- If your high school offers the following co-curricular opportunities, take advantage!
- Team Sports / Athletics
- Student Government
Common Fire Protection and Safety Technology Courses in College:
- Building Construction for Fire
- Calculus (I & II)
- Fire Arson Investigation
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire Prevention
- Fire Protection Hydraulics and Water Supply
- Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT)
- Law and the Fire Service
Many programs require internships.
Similar Degree Programs You Might Want to Explore:
- Criminal Justice: the study of how society responds to criminal behavior
- Construction Technology: the study of construction engineering, planning and design, and project management
- Emergency Medical Technology: a course of study that prepares students to serve as emergency medical personnel (EMTs and EMS)
- Fire Science: the study of how to fight fires
- Fire Services Administration: a course of study that prepares students to manage fire departments
- Parks and Recreations: a course of study that explores how and why people interact with the outdoors, and how to manage these people and natural resources
Fire Protection and Safety Technology Careers:
Students who earn degrees in Fire Protection and Safety Technology often go on to work as firefighters. Others work in fire investigation. Some work in fire insurance claim investigation. Some are fire protection consultants and inspectors, and some go to work in HAZMAT management.
If you enjoyed this article, please share >>